Thursday, January 22, 2015

Needlework Tuesday - On Thursday

Needlework Tuesday is an occasional post detailing my needlework and/or crafting projects.

If you read this blog with any frequency, you might have noticed that I especially look forward to the deliveries from the Mary Maxim's Knit Club of the Month. I never know what's coming, so it's always a surprise. This month's project got off to a rough start in more ways than one.

It's quite a long story, so I'll spare you the nitty-gritty details. Bottom line, my package was temporarily misplaced in the mail and I wasn't happy with the help offered by Canada Post.  You'd think with computers and tracking numbers that be able to tell me EXACTLY where the package was. But nope, that wasn't the case. When they told me they'd get back to me within 5 business days, I decided to launch my own investigation and tracked down the package myself by calling one of the other post offices in the area. I'm not sure why it ended up at the wrong post office, even though the letter carrier himself (!!) labelled it correctly,  but it did. I had to wait a few extra days, but I finally have this month's project.

Anyway, it's a cabled baby blanket. Uggg...no babies here. *sigh* The saving grace is that the yarn is extremely soft and quite pretty. It'll probably be too small for anything but a lap blanket while reading or watching TV. I would rather have had the colour pictured on the pattern, a nice variegated yellow, but I was sent the pink one. I don't have anything against pink, it's just a preference. Here's the project package/sheet:

 
I started the project on straight 5mm needles (recommended by the pattern), which turned out to be a little short. I was pretty sure I had longer ones somewhere, but I couldn't find them. I didn't lose any stitches, but I couldn't see how the pattern was come together, making it hard to knit. I've since switched to a circular needle and it's much, much better.

The yarn is Li'l Tots by Bernat and comes in variety of nice colours.  So far, I like it. However, because it's variegated, nubbly (is that a word?), and comprised of two yarns loosely twisted together, it's a little hard to see the pattern emerging.  I'm sure it'll work out, though.   The pattern is from Bernat/Yarnspirations and can be found online here.  I'll get the hang of it sooner or later, but right now it's a little rough going.  

There's not much to see yet, but here's the beginnings of the baby/lap blanket:

 
I also completed the knitting part of one of the Christmas Snowman mittens also from Mary Maxim.  I still have to sew the seam, tuck in the million or so ends, and stitch on some additional details. If I get that done this coming week, I'll post a photo next week. 
 
Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.    If you'd done any crafting this week that you'd like to share with others, please head over to Heather's blog and use the Mr. Linky to link up your post, so others can enjoy your creations.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie,
    Thanks for stopping by my place. Love the color of the yarn, Looking forward to seeing it all done. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thouhgt

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a pretty pattern and yarn. I clicked over to look at the colours available and the green is so pretty along with the yellow. I don't have little one to make a blankie for either.

    Thanks for linking up with Needlework Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!