Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Needlework Tuesday - On Wednesday - Stalled

Well, it turns out that after making 5 scarves, I was all scarf-ed out, so I didn't even pick up knitting needles this week. I still managed to plan and work on my next project, but didn't really get that far.

In The Knitting Book (my review), I saw a nifty technique where you recycle yarn from an old sweater, cut it into lengths, then knot it together with other yarns to form a "new" variegated knotty yarn. I didn't have an old sweater (or other knitted item) to use, but I did figured I could try the same thing with leftover yarn from various other projects. I might have been able to make a few mittens/hats/scarves, but it's been sitting for over 20 years (labelled Eatons* and Baycrest, UGH!)...it was time to do something with it.

So this week, I've been sitting in front of the TV cutting up yarn into foot long lengths. I was hoping to make a afghan, but I'm not sure I have enough yarn. So far, I have about 11 ounces or just over 300 grams. I could go into my stash, pull out a few full skeins of yarn that hasn't been designated for anything else yet and cut them up, but I'm not sure I want to do that. It, too, has been sitting, but I'm hesitant to cut up a whole skein. I could either make a smaller item (pillow?) or I could still make an afghan, but in alternating stripes of solid colour and new knotty variegated yarn. I'll have to give it some thought this week.

Whatever I decide to do, it's going to be a very simple pattern because any fancy cables and such will likely be unrecognizable with the knotty yarn. I'm thinking all seed stitch because it's my favourite, but I might opt for garter stitch or stocking stitch.    Also, the knots may irritate me so much that following a complicated pattern may make the project unbearable. I certainly don't need any more unfinished projects. ;)

Anyway, here's a photo of the cut up yarn I have so far:























Crappy shot, I know.  I should have made the whole photo more in focus.  Anyway, you can sort of tell that the colours (burgundy, pink, black, brown, cream, grey, blue, white/pink) don't exactly all go together.  But, that's what I have and that's what I'm going to use.   

*Eatons was a department store in Winnipeg that closed down many moons ago. I'm not sure about Baycrest, but the yarn I have is ancient.

Needlework Tuesday is hosted by Heather over at Books and Quilts.

2 comments:

  1. I have a garbage bag full of old yarn from my grandmother. I would love an easy craft project that would use some of it up. I am The Queen of unfinished projects because I'm not a great knitter and I tend to give up when it doesn't look like the picture:( so sad.

    I will be excited to see this finished afghan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished the scarf for son and am now working on tiny knitting projects. Will post photos next week. I did a scrappy knotted project. I used short round needles, cast on 75 stitches and started knitting with yarns that had been knotted together. When it was finished and cast off, I flattened the tube by adding fringe to close the open ends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've been getting lots of spam comments, so I'm turning on word verification to help keep spammers away. I know it's a pain; I don't like it either. Hopefully, in time I'll be able to turn it off again. Thank you!